Morris Minor website due shortly

The classic Morris Minor.

Shortly after the second world war, it became obvious to the Morris company at Cowley that a new design would be needed for their medium sized car range, the pre-war developed vehicles seriously showing their age by the time that production got back underway. It fell to Alec Issigonis and his team to pen a new design, one that during the prototype stages was known as Mosquito, but would end up using a pre-war model name, the Morris Minor. Issigonis had in mind a brand new powerplant for the car, but was told that the existing sidevalve unit, still used in the Series E saloon, would have to suffice.

Morris Minor parts & spares auctions on eBay.

Hundreds of items are listed at any one time. The Minor parts shown below all end within the next few hours, one window features parts while the other concentrates on up-and-running cars.
The Morris Minor MM of 1948 broke cover, and was a clean sheet of paper for the Morris works. Gone were separate headlamps and running boards. The new car, of monocoque design (ie it had no separate chassis), looked bang up-to-date and drove like no other car of the time, thanks in no small part to the superbly direct rack and pinion steering, when arch rivals such as Austin over at Longbridge were still sticking with the old steering box. Only the slightly wheezy 918cc sidevalve engine let the side down, its performance, while acceptable, was always less than sparkling. The MM Minor could eventually be purchased as a 2dr or 4dr saloon, or rather nifty convertible.

The earliest Minors were retrospectively known as the lowlight model, thanks to their headlamps being set low in the front wings. Due to the need to sell cars to America, the styling of the MM was revised and the headlamps moved higher up in the front wings, much to Issigonis' consternation, and this is how they would stay for the remainder of production.

The next major revision introduced the Series 2 Morris Minor, in February 1953. Finally the powerplant was replaced, this time by Austin's ohv unit of 803cc, Morris having joined up with Austin under the BMC banner. Visually the new Series 2 looked almost identical to the late MM, only badging differing slightly. 1953 would also see the introduction of the Traveller estate car, and the LCV (light commercial vehicle) in the shape of the van and pickup. The frontal appearance of all Series 2 Minors would change slightly in 1954, when the grille of the Series 2 changed to one with horizontal bars - a trademark Minor look that would remain.

In 1956 the Minor (Series 3) 1000 would be born, now being propelled by an enlarged version of the A series engine, displacing 948cc. The charismatic split screen was now gone, and the rear window enlarged to give better visibility. The dash and interior would also receive a makeover. In 1962 the 1098cc engine would replace the 948, offering a little more torque for the owner of the Series V Minor. Production finally came to an end in 1971.

A complete site featuring this classic Morris, will be put on here shortly.
contact address

Side view of a Morris Minor 1000
Morris Minor saloon.
Morris van
Morris Minor light commercial.
Privacy Policy, Cookies & Disclaimers